Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween = Neighborhood Day

Halloween= Neighborhood Day
It's amazing how much a neighborhood can change when pumpkins, costumes and candy are involved. Yesterday morning was a normal day in my neighborhood. Most neighbors were in their homes, taking care of errands, cleaning up leaves and for the most part sticking to themselves. As the day progressed people were setting up their lawn chairs on their porches and in their driveways around their fire pits. Though Halloween is mostly focused on children trick or treating, it seems that what is really happening is the parents are meeting other parents, stopping to chat and getting to know new neighbors. By the time I left my house to head out to a halloween party, I saw neighbors from all around the neighborhood congregating in driveways and lawns. It felt so good see how much a neighborhood can transform when Sugar is involved! I'm hoping that Share Some Sugar facilitates that neighborhood feeling on the other 364 days of the year!


Halloween Leftovers
So you anticipated more trick or treaters than who actually came to your house. I did, and I ended up with way too many Tootsie Roll Pops and Mini Snickers. I don't know about you, but it's dangerous for me too keep so much candy in my house. How about bringing the extra candy into your office and sharing it with your co-workers. There's nothing like extending the spirit of halloween beyond the big day. 


Costume Swap
You're awesome spider man costume was the hit of the night! Now what are you going to do with it? Everyone knows you can't wear the same costume 2 years in a row! It's almost as bad as wearing the same thing to work 2 days in a row. Try gathering a group of friends or neighbors and swapping halloween costumes. When next year rolls around, you'll be ready to go. No Halloween morning stress, trying to figure out what you're going to be.


I hope you had a great Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment